Pasadena’s women’s basketball team came up short in an overtime loss in the second round of the CCCAA SoCal Regionals to East Los Angeles College (ELAC) 70-64 on Saturday.
Both teams got off to a slow start, only scoring 2 points total in the first four minutes of the game. The Lancers started to get together in the second quarter, going on a 6-0 run resulting in their biggest lead of the night. Pasadena led 31-28 at the half.
PCC fell apart in the third quarter, where they have struggled all season. The Lancers scored only 7 points in the third quarter, but they were somehow still able to stay in the game, only trailing 40-38.
In the fourth quarter, ELAC started off hot having a 9-0 run. The Lancers continued to compete and never gave up, coming back and tying the game at 53-53 in the final minute to send the game into overtime.
The Lancers took a small but early lead over the Huskies to start off overtime but it didn’t last long. Huskies’ Allissa Gomez had a big overtime performance which included a 3-point play that extended the Huskies’ lead 63-56 with 2:10 left to play.
The Lancers battled back but it wasn’t enough. Gomez drained two free throws in the final seconds to put the nail in the coffin and to seal the win 70-64 over the Pasadena Lancers.
ELAC has now defeated PCC three times this season. The Lancers came into this game ready to win but in the end fell short.
“I felt I was ready, I was ready from yesterday, I was the first one in the gym, I was ready to play,” starting center Kailyn Gideon said. “I was ready for us to win.”
Despite letting the game come away from them, head coach Joe Peron said the team left all out on the floor.
“I think my players did they best they could do, I think I did the best I can do,” Peron said. “We don’t do things different. You do the best you can do.”
East LA is moving on to Elite Eight, while Pasadena’s season comes to an end and the rebuilding process starts to begin for next season.
- CourierCast: PCC chief of police on gun violence, sexual assault and more - June 14, 2017
- CourierCast: Change of leadership in the newsroom - June 14, 2017
- CourierCast: Student candidate slates - May 18, 2017
- CourierCast: Print media dies at community colleges - April 25, 2017
- PCC women’s basketball falls short in regional semifinals - March 5, 2017
- Lancers close out the preseason with a win - March 2, 2017
- PCC women’s basketball 2016-17 season preview - December 15, 2016
- Men’s soccer Cinderella story axed by Oxnard - December 2, 2016
- Lancers lose big in road finale - November 15, 2016
- Badminton: From tears to triumph in State Championships - July 6, 2016