After losing in the first round of playoffs last season, the Lancers’ women’s basketball team are starting with a clean slate coming into this season. The preseason has taken its course and Lancers are now 11-2 overall, setting them up for what should be a successful season of Lancers basketball.
“We have a tradition of winning and we plan to keep that tradition and continue to win,” said head coach Joe Peron
In preparation for the upcoming season, the team has been practicing a lot of skill work to improve their technique. The team is also preparing with many quickness drills and the small details that will in the long run benefit everyone.
“Were working on the small stuff,” Peron said.
Coming into the new season, the team is welcoming a couple of new players. Some of these players have come a very long way from home and now are new addition to the Lancers family.
|Samaiyah Abdullah||Guard||Oakland, CA|
|Jelissa Puckett||Guard||St. Louis, MO|
|Raquel Jones||Guard||Atlanta, GA|
|Alisa Shin||Center||La Crescenta, CA|
“The girls on the team really helped me feel like this is my home away from home,” said Puckett.
In addition to new recruits, the team will also be having some new starters this coming season. The starters include familiar faces and some new ones.
With all of their practice and hard work, the team is very confident that they are going to do well this season.
“I’m really confident in the team and think we have the potential to go all the way” Puckett. “I believe everyone is on board and has the same mindset.”
“The team is like a family, we play well and everyone gets along with each other,” Gideon added. “ I think we have the potential this season.”
The team has their first home game at PCC on January 11, 2017 against Long Beach City College at 7 p.m.
- CourierCast: PCC chief of police on gun violence, sexual assault and more - June 14, 2017
- CourierCast: Change of leadership in the newsroom - June 14, 2017
- CourierCast: Student candidate slates - May 18, 2017
- CourierCast: Print media dies at community colleges - April 25, 2017
- PCC women’s basketball falls short in regional semifinals - March 5, 2017
- Lancers close out the preseason with a win - March 2, 2017
- PCC women’s basketball 2016-17 season preview - December 15, 2016
- Men’s soccer Cinderella story axed by Oxnard - December 2, 2016
- Lancers lose big in road finale - November 15, 2016
- Badminton: From tears to triumph in State Championships - July 6, 2016