The men’s basketball team received a Consolation trophy over the weekend at the Skip Robinson Classic after defeating rival Mt. San Antonio College (Mt.SAC), 56-67 in game three.
Although the first game of the three day tournament was a loss, the Lancers made it a tough match for undefeated Santiago Canyon. PCC went from trailing 8-12, to a 32-31 lead at the end of the first half. Freshman forward Jordan Simpson grabbed six rebounds while teammate Todd Kitagawa put up nine points.
In the second half, the Lancers put up a five point lead but Santiago rallied 42-48. From then on both teams went back and forth at the net. During the final two minutes it was still anyone’s game, given that the Lancers were only down four points (67-71). Santiago quickly regrouped in a time out and came out with the win.
“We played good defense, I just think we got in foul trouble with some of our better players early and they had to sit on the bench,” head coach Michael Swanegan said. “We play hard like this, we’re going to win some games, a lot of games soon.”
With that said, game two against MiraCosta may have not been that much easier, but it was that much better. The 11 turnovers produced by MiraCosta gave the Lancers leverage at the field goal line. Freshman forward Joe Hampton slammed 18 points and 6 rebounds while Kitagawa added 15 and went 3-3 at the free throw line.
The Lancers moved onto the consolation game against Mt. SAC, who defeated LA Trade Tech in game two. According to PCC’s athletic website, the Lancers held a 39-23 lead at the half, then extended the lead to 20, eventually winning the game. This is the first time in eight years that PCC beat Mt. SAC at home.
The Lancers are now 3-3 overall. They will host cross town rival Glendale Community College Tuesday evening at 5 p.m.
- Lancers’ volleyball playoff run comes to an end - November 29, 2017
- Friends travel cross country for football dreams - November 29, 2017
- Volleyball advances in SoCal Regional Playoffs - November 21, 2017
- Men’s basketball defeat rivals in Consolation match - November 21, 2017
- Police Blotter: Squirrel goes nuts, terrorizes students - November 17, 2017
- Lancers are on their way to playoffs - November 10, 2017
- Six game winning streak and counting - October 16, 2017
- Men’s soccer suffers first defeat - September 20, 2017
- Lancers suffer first away defeat - September 28, 2017
- Water Polo splits doubleheader at LA Valley tournament - September 12, 2017